THIS CREAMY BROCCOLI pasta is a delicious, fresh dish that uses seasonal veg. Broccoli is, of course, a great source of antioxidants, vitamin C and other good stuff. And the really clever thing is that it’s great for kids – that is, it’s a great way to disguise broccoli so that the little people get conned into liking it without realising!
* Pasta (spaghetti, penne or your choice)
* Half a head broccoli (or whole small head)
* 1 large onion
* 5-7 button mushrooms
* 1 medium tomato
* 1 tbs flour
* 1/4 cup milk or soy milk
* 2 cloves of garlic
1) Blanch broccoli, then lightly boil or steam. [Use stalk, too: just peel hard outside skin, then cut]
2) In a blender or food processor, puree the broccoli. Add a little water if too dry.
3) Heat the pan with olive oil, add chopped garlic and 1 sliced onion, and cook until soft. Add sliced mushrooms. Set aside.
4) Cook pasta, then drain, but keep half a cup of the ‘cooking’ water for later.
5) Reheat the pan, then add broccoli, sprinkle flour, and mix well. Splash milk (or soy) to make creamy, thick sauce.
6) Chop rosemary, add to sauce (option), salt and pepper.
7) Add pasta and chopped tomato, and quickly mix. If too thick, add ‘cooking’ water (see 4) little by little as needed.
8) Serve with grated cheese or cheese substitute.